What is Family Care? Family Care is a service we provide, without charge, following the funeral or memorial service. Its sole purpose is to help survivors resolve some of the practical matters that can be most difficult after the loss of a loved one.
The list below will give you an idea of the ways in which our Family Care Director is prepared to help. Our practice is to arrange for a time at your home within a day or two after the funeral or memorial service. Because we know there will be many things on your mind, you need only plan an hour or so.
Canada Pension Plan and Old Age Security
- application for lump-sum death benefit
- application for income continuance
Retirement and Pensions
- private, provincial or federal application for survivor's benefits
- application for life insurance benefits
- updating beneficiaries on existing policies
- continuance of health insurance
Credit Card Cancellations
- contacting companies as needed (plus some little known advice about card cancellations)
Bank Account Updates
- adding names of children or other survivors
- confirming bank procedures for closing an account
- helpful information about joint accounts
Survivors Funeral Plan
- practical options for documenting your wishes
- consolidation of vital information
- certainty that loved ones will not overspend or be without resources
We know that much is demanded of you in the months following a death. Our sincere desire is to help in ways that are meaningful and lasting. Count on the integrity and confidentiality of our Family Care Director as part of our commitment to you.